Pages

12.4.05

Pinilakang Tabing (silver screen) memories

Have you ever tried sitting down and list all the movies you’ve seen so far? I tried it once when I was in high school. It was at first, an attempt to make a list of my favorite movies. Half way I was confronted by the fact that I was a picky fellow and would only watch movies I think, or heard was great. So my best of list actually turned into a list of the movies I’ve watched, saved for a stray film here and there where I was forced to watch it with parents or friends.

And I rarely watch movies with others. I have this notion that the darkness has a purpose when watching a film: anonymity. A secret, intimate relationship with you and the silver screen, which only you and her alone have any knowledge about. It defeats the purpose of anonymity when you come in with someone. It’s like bringing along your friend when you’re off to see your mistress.

Of course, that all changed when I discovered girls. And the analogy has now escaped me. Where was I? Oh, yes. Movies. Listing them.

It was overwhelming! I practically filled up two sheets of yellow paper, back to back. I felt guilty with the black and white (okay, yellow) listing of where I've spent a sizable chunk of my life.

I haven't done it ever since. But thinking about it, It was one of those sporadic moments of me being anal.

I wonder if I'd also be guilty if I track the time I spend peeing every year ("What!? I've spent an estimated week of my life peeing in 2004? Why, I could've done more productive things with that one week of peeing, like, watching movies, and finally playing Final Fantasy VII!")

So where's the travelling part in this entry?

Jordan

No comments: